“Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.” Matthew 6:33.
Taste and see, this is True.
Are you looking for love, security, stability etc. etc. etc? Then stop chasing after them. And stop seeking them from the wrong people and places. They will never be able to satisfy your soul. People will disappoint you, they will infact leave you when you need them the most. Your finances come and go, times will change and so will your needs and desires, but HE will never leave you or forsake you. HE does not change, JESUS is the same, yesterday, today and forever.
Even if you were you get what you always dreamed of, you will always long for more, because the void in your heart, that emptiness in you will also grow. Your flesh is one thing that will never be satisfied. On the contrary, you may one day come to a point, where you will want to give up everything you have to just get a little bit of peace, that joy and unconditional love, but why wait till you reach that point?
Today, examine yourself to see who or what really is first in your life?
1. Your spouse/friends/family
2. Your job/career
4. Social Media/Internet related activities
5. Yourself/flesh (I care only about myself!)
Whatever you give more time to, whatever takes the place of Jesus in your life is an idol and takes the first place in your life. I am not talking about shirking responsibilities as a man/woman of your home, or an employee or employer of your company, I am talking about what really drives you, for example, if you did not have that which is most important to you, will it cause you to lose your identity? Will it lead you to depression?
So, How do I put God first in my life?
1. Spend more time with Him: Not necessarily always on your knees with folded hands, no! Pray without ceasing means, to pray like you breathe. Do you cease to breathe? ofcourse not! So also, talk to God, while you are at work, while you to your household work, even while you take a walk or a bath. Talk to Him as a Father, Brother or your Best Friend. Share everything, every detail with Him, for your own sake.
2. Read the Bible daily: Read the Bible systematically. Do not open it randomly (though at times God may lead you into it). You can read the Old Testament in the evening, a chapter a day, until you finish that book (e.g. Genesis), then move on to the next chapter. You can similarly read the New Testament in the morning. The point is read it and read it chapter by chapter, book by book.
3. Make Notes: Yes, any verse that strikes you, note it down in your notepad or diary. You can even write in detail what God is speaking you through a verse or a chapter even. A few days, months or years later, you can look back and see, how God was good and merciful towards you.
4. Practice/Implement: Merely reading the Bible and praying will not do. God says, obedience is more important to Him that sacrifice. So put into practice the nature of Jesus which He has given to you, if you have Believed. (the Holy Spirit). Strive to be like Jesus. If you have been lying, stop lying. If you have been stealing (even that paper or pencil from your office), stop it. If you have been breaking your promises, stop breaking them and keep you word. God never breaks His promises, He keeps it generations after generation.
So dear reader, please turn your heart to Him, and He will give you your heart’s desire. Stop chasing love, wealth or whatever it is you are chasing and follow Jesus, seek Him and He will give you what you really need.
Taste and see, the Lord is Good.